PowerMac 7300/200 + gtcd - CD = freeze

Hi all!

I'm a happy owner of a PowerMac 7300/200 happily running woody. But since I've
switched to Gnome several weeks ago, I'm experiencing a strange problem while
running gtcd (the CD-player from Gnome 1.4). As soon as there is no CD inside
(if it's, say, ejected), everything is freezing. The mouse is still moving,
but nothing else works (even Ctrl-Alt-Backspace and ping from another
computer). Putting the CD back "thaws" everything again. Is it a known issue?
What could be done to address it? On no other computer I have access to gtcd
behaves in the same way.

The box has 128MB of RAM and the kernel is custom compiled 2.4.19.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Just an appropriate reference would
suffice, of course.

Thanks,

  --- Alexander