Re: beige G3 optimize disk speed ?

On  21 Nov, this message from francke echoed through cyberspace:
> for hdparm -Tt i get:
> /dev/hda:
>   Timing buffer-cache reads:   128 MB in  1.64 seconds = 78.05 MB/sec

Yeah, about what I also get.

>   Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  5.23 seconds = 12.24 MB/sec
>

> i agree it isnt that bad for the old ata in the beige G3. but i am
> think of
> getting a acard or something;)

You are right, the machine should be able to do more (but maybe not on
the built-in IDE..). For your reference, I get around 15 MB/s on oldish
18-Gig full-height Fast-Wide SCSI disks, and 20 MB/s on a newish 10000
RPM 36-Gig SCSI drive.

So yes, the PCI bus can go beyond the 12 MB/s you get. Just go ahead and
try a PCI IDE controller. Be aware however that it needs an OF ROM (i.e.
it needs to be a Mac product) in order to be bootable.

Cheers

Michel

L-1710 Luxembourg              |
email   mlan@cpu.lu            |