eth0/eth1, an iBook2 and powersaving...

Hi,

as many of you know, I have got an iBook2 500 with WLAN. Both, WLAN and
LAN are built as modules (airport, orinoco, hermes; sungem). Usually I
only use WLAN for networking and the sungem module is not loaded at all.
Then the WLAN is eth0.

Therefore I wrote in /etc/network/interfaces:

# Wireless interface
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
	pre-up modprobe airport
	post-down rmmod airport
	post-down rmmod orinoco
	post-down rmmod hermes
	wireless_essid any
	wireless_mode Managed
	wireless_ap any
	wireless_nick WindowsME  # cloaking :)
	wireless_key off

So I can just du "ifup|ifdown eth0".
But sometimes I need faster networking, so I do an "ifdown eth0" and
then I want to use "sungem". So I added these lines to interfaces:

#auto eth1
iface eth1 inet dhcp
	pre-up modprobe sungem
	post-down rmmod sungem

But that does not work, because I cannot force sungem to become eth1
instead of eth0.
MY QUESTION: How do I achieve sungem to add eth1 instead of eth0 ??

Another question: When I do modprobe sungem, pump is automatically
started. Who does that? Are the otplugscripts responsible for that?

I alway unload the modules of unused hardware in order to save battery
power. Is that really needed or can the driver itself do some savings
already?

Bye, Claas