RE: the trials and tribulations of getting woody on my powercenter 120

well, here's an update to my problem, I've found the solution, so I'm
going to send it out here, in the hopes that someone may stumble across
it in the future.

first of all, here's a link to the page with the answer on it, however
it's not where I saw the answer, as I overlooked it...
http://www.mfdh.ca/~mfdh/apple/#oldworld_potato
note that his installation instructions work perfectly for woody.

here's the page where I actually noticed what I had missed:
http://www.imaclinux.net/gh.php?single=81  this page is also very
useful, however, for a first time install, I would go w the first one,
as it's a bit more n00b friendly.

what I missed was that there is a leading space in the boot-file
variable.  I don't know why it would cause the boot to work once, and
then not again, but putting it in solved my problem.  I now have the
powercenter sitting with only the power cable and the ethernet cable
plugged into it, no monitor, no keyboard and no mouse.  I'm happy.

for reference, here are the open firmware settings that worked for me:

boot-device		"scsi/sd@0:0"
boot-file		" scsi/sd@0:3/boot/vmlinux-2.4.18-powerpc"
boot-command	"begin ['] boot catch 1000 ms cr again"

according to the second link, I could have made the settings more
generic, as long as I copied my kernel over to /vmlinux, but as I'm new
to linux, I didn't want to do anything too fancy.  I know that if I
change my kernel, I'll have to modify the boot-file variable to match.
and now you know that too :)

again, if anyone wants more of the info I found, just let me know, I'd
be happy to compile it into a how-to or something.

I hope that this helps someone.

take care,

--wylie

oh, and as far as getting that IDE drive recognized, the new kernel saw
the PCI card, so all I had to do was partition it, format it and mount