alsa permissions

hello all,

i'm having a problem with my alsa kernel modules. i keep getting
permission denied, even when i've been a member of group audio since
1970 (j/k), and i've played around with /etc/modules.conf and
/etc/devfs/devfsd.conf, setting root:audio 0660 and other shenanigans.

i don't know what else i'm missing. i'll include relevant parts of the
two aforementioned files.

well, /etc/modutils/aliases, not modules.conf:

# ALSA native device support
alias char-major-116 snd
options snd snd_major=116 snd_cards_limit=1 enable_beep device_mode=0666
device_uid=0 device_gid=29
# OSS/Free setup
options soundcore snd-mixer-oss snd-seq-oss snd-pcm-oss device_mode=0666
device_uid=0 device_gid=29
alias char-major-14 soundcore
#alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

AFAIK, gid=29 is group audio, as per my /etc/group file.

/etc/devfs/devfsd.conf:

# ALSA mods
LOOKUP          snd      MODLOAD        ACTION  snd
REGISTER       ^sound$          PERMISSIONS root.audio 0750
REGISTER       ^sound/.*        PERMISSIONS root.audio 0660
REGISTER       ^snd$            PERMISSIONS root.audio 0750
REGISTER       ^snd/.*          PERMISSIONS root.audio 0660

(those 750 perms should be changed, i know)

simon
lost wandering around in the ALSA forest