package build howto ?

Hey Folks,

I'm interested in trying to build a couple of packages for my own Linux
Woody Box, as well as for my fink installation on my OS X box.  Is there
a How-to available as to how one would go about building a .deb from the
source (mostly like .src.tgz files). I'm not planning to do anything for
public consumption (not yet anyways) but I did want to try my hand at it.

Thanks
cheers
vinai

--
"You can't outrun Death forever ...
 But you can sure make the Bastard work for it !!"

                                        Episode "Lava and Rockets"
                                        Andromeda