Re: Creating bootable PPC CD-ROMs

On Fri, Nov 08, 2002 at 01:44:25AM +0100, W. Michael Petullo wrote:
> I'd like to create a CD-R disc that is bootable on my iBook laptop.
> I am familiar with creating Linux-based bootable CD-Rs for the x86
> architecture, but can't seem to find a real good reference documenting
> how to do the same for a (New World) Macintosh.
>
> Could the folks that author the Debian PPC CD-ROM image comment on
> how they create it?  I assume mkisofs or some other free software tool
> is used.
>
> I've been fooling around with mkisofs's -boot-hfs-file and -hfs-bless
> options with no luck.
>
> I am looking for a general overview on how a Macintosh bootable CD-ROM
> is laid out followed by some example command lines for implementing one.

You want the debian-cd source, in tools/boot/woody/boot-powerpc.
There are a few different ways to use mkisofs; you can copy an hfs
volume and tell it to use the creators and types from there, or you
can give it a map of creators and types to use. They use the map
technique, I think it's easier to do the hfs copy (but that means
using the painful hfstools to create the initial image). I also had
bad luck with the blessing, and used hfstools to do it instead; but
others haven't run into the same problems.

The shell script I did, which is probably not a great example, is

http://cvs.debian.org/boot-floppies/powerpc-specials/mini-iso.sh

|      <http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual>     |
|        debian-imac: <http://debian-imac.sourceforge.net>       |
|                  To Have, Give All to All (ACIM)               |