Re: Screen garbled - Was :Re: Kernel panic : VFS : unable to mount root fs

Hi,
> > When boot-floppy boots I get a nice screenoutput
> with
> > the penguin on top : kernel detects following
> (dmesg
> > output) :
> >
> > MacOs display is /bandit/ATY,264VT
> > Using unsupported 640x480 ATY,264VT at 81800480,
> > depth=8, pitch=640
> > Console: switching to colour frame buffer device
> 80x30
> > fb0: Open Firmware frame buffer device on
> > /bandit/ATY,264VT
> > etc...
> >
> > When I reboot (during the install, after making
> > harddisk bootable) I get no(or garbled)
> screen-output.
> >
> > I've tried different combinations of c -and vmode
> with
> > video=atyfb. With following combinations i get
> output
> > but it is scrolling fast/garbled and not usable. :
> > vmode:6,cmode:8
> >       5       8
> >      14       1

nvsetenv
> > little-endian	false
> > real-mode	false
> > auto-boot	true
> > diag-switch	false
> > fcode-debug	false
> > oem-banner	false
> > oem-logo	false
> > use-nvramrc	false
> > real-base 	0xffffffff
> > real-size 	0x100000
> > virt-base 	0xffffffff
> > virt-size 	0x100000
> > load-base 	0x600000
> > pci-probe-list 	0xffffffff
> > screen-#columns	0x64
> > screen-#rows	0x28
> > selftest-#megs 	0x0
> > boot-device 	ata/ata-disk@0:0
> > boot-file   	 ata/ata-disk@0:2/vmlinux
>
> On mine, I just put Linux here, not the path to the
> kernel.
> Then the quik.conf Linux label controls the boot.

> > video=atyfb:vmode:5,cmode:8
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> I don't know what this is doing in here?

kernel-argument to line above : boot-file (mailer must
have put it on next line)

Changed boot-file to "Linux" : same result.

> > diag-device 	fd-diags
> > diag-file
> > input-device 	kbd
> > output-device 	/bandit/ATY,264VT
> > oem-banner
> > oem-logo
> > nvramrc
> > boot-command 	begin ['] boot catch 1000 ms cr
> again

changed boot-command to "boot" : no result

> > quik.conf:
> >
> > default=Linux
> > timeout=100
> > root=/dev/hda2
> > partition=2
> > image=/vmlinux
>         ^^^^^^^^
> quik doesn't grok symlinks, you must have copied
> your kernel there?

yes

> > 	append="video=atyfb:vmode:5,cmode:8"
> > 	label=Linux
> > 	read-only
>
> Things to try:
> * append="video=atyfb:vmode:5"
> * append="video=ofonly"
> * don't append anything

tried these : only with first I get garbled output,
with 2 others NO output.
tried several other combinations : no success.

> (append="video=ofonly" is what the standard boot
> floppy uses).

One thing I noticed and find very strange: when I zap
the PRAM (alt-cmd P R) I almost immediatly get the
white screen with the arrow and then the Mac searches
for a bootable disk (Linux boot-floppy or MacOS-disk).

>From the moment I make a change in the PRAM (ie the
boot-device ata/ata-disk@0:0  and boot-file Linux to
boot the Linux-disk), either with nvsetenv or
bootvars, and reboot : I get a garbled screen : I even
don't get the initial white screen : it's garbled too.

I would suspect a hardware problem but then why don't
I get the garbled screen with the Debian boot floppy?

I'm puzzled.
HELP

Johan

=====