Re: running debian on a mac laptop

On Sun, 2002-11-03 at 11:03, Eric Deveaud wrote:
> see some news group related  to Apple hardware, and you will find lots of
> reports regarding combo problems, ethh/usb connectors problems (it's
> really painfull to unplug the eth cable from the connector on the
> tiBook.

Weird...I had troubles with ibook 12.1/700's ethernet connector a few
weeks ago.  There are little metal "wings" inside the connector.  One of
them bent out slightly and kept grabbing the cable.  Yuck.

> > 	Yes, and this speaks huge volumes. See the archives for all my
> > 	struggles trying to get DVD playing on my late 2001 iBook2
> > 	(600MHz) under Linux.
>
> I agree with this.

No big troubles playing dvd's on mine.  Really really crazy stuff like
Run Lola Run (lots of the camera getting jerked around and floating)
makes it drop the ocassional frame, but all in all its pretty good.
There were some decoder improvements a while back I think...

All in all I like my ibook.  Yeah a tibook would have been nice, but
they're too expensive and I don't do video editing/other hugely
graphical stuff on my laptop to necessitate a g4.

My only argument against buying an (t)ibook now is that they've been the
same price/specs for a long long time...so they're probably due for an
upgrade or price drop soon...that'd happen before the big christmas
buying season, i would imagine...

Cheers,
Reid