Re: useful links & one caveat: apt over ssh

At 4:07 pm -0800 31/10/02, Dylan Beaudette wrote:

Hi Dylan

howdy--
i would recomend using the newest kernel, Etsushi Kato's mach_kernel +
Debian 3.0 installer, to format a partition, and then install the base
system via CD or ftp. (i usually use the base install CD, and then upon
rebooting install the rest via ftp).

Thanks, I'll give it a try - I've installation withdrawal blues ;-)

i am using a kernel that is one revision older than Estushi's latest, and
it seems to work fine: sound, net, video, and the like. the newest one
seems to have a few more ethernet drivers built-into it.

all in all, i would recomend woody over all other distro's for installing
onto an old world pmac. not only is the install farily easy once your
figure it out (despite the prevailient complaints...) and the apt based
package management makes life oh so easy.

You think apt is preferable to dselect?

there is only one problem that i have been having with woody.. perhaps
somone can figure this out...

'apt-get install [package]' seems to alwasy die when run from either an ssh
session, or over a consol connected via the serial port. the only time that
i am able to use 'apt-get install [package] over ssh is when i am also
logged into the main consol.

if anyone knows what this is casued by, it would surely save a lot of
hassel!

i will add your notes tonight if that is ok with you.

No problem ;-) When I've done the next install, I'll send you an updated version.

Regards

Clive
--

Clive Menzies & Associates Limited