Re: backup methods

Lars Noodén wrote:

What is the recommended best practice for backing up and restoring an entire server - data, applications and all?

I've tried tarring /, the same method I've used for data, but the machine (woody) doesn't boot after I un-tar it.

I don't see why tar wouldn't work, but note that untarring to root on a running system isn't necessarily a good idea. So how are you doing it? tarring from a disk to a file, then untarring to a disk in another machine and moving the disk back to the original machine, or doing it from a bootfloppy or similar?

I've done both a few times. having a rescue floppy ready for these occasions is quite good.