Re: Woody on IBM pSeries 630 (POWER4)

JP Glutting wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to figure out how much work it will be to get Debian working
> on an IBM pSeries 630 (with a one-way POWER4). We are getting one here
> at work, and we will be transfering our software from our current
> server, a dual Athlon, onto that. IBM has worked some things out with
> RedHat and SuSE for installations of Linux after shipment. I contacted
> the SuSE folks, and they said that they have a working 64-bit compiled
> kernel that should work.
>
> I have a few questions for the list:
>
> Does Debian have a kernel that will work on this chip?

They just need to build ppc64 kernels. Sources are available from
linuxppc64.org for everything from the toolchain to the kernel itself.

> What are the trade-offs for 64 vs. 32 bit kernels?

32 won't work on that hardware. Sorry. 8-(

> How much trouble will it be to compile source from unavailable packages
> on this computer?

Unavailable packages? huh? Not sure what you mean here?

Regards,

Tom

--
Tom Gall - [Embedded] [ppc|ppc64]  Code Monkey
Peace, Love and Linux Technology Center "Where's the ka-boom?