Re: Debian network installation on IBM RS/6000 44P-170 (POWER3) - HOWTO

Rolf,

Please update your docs to include some of my info.  I have a model 43p 150
which has a tenous
install of debian linux on it.  I am in a similar shape as you. e.g  I can
netboot, and auto mount my root fs from
hard disk, but I can not boot from hard disk.

Here is my saga:

Building the Kernel requires that I build the binutils, gcc cross compiler
from
scratch.  Here is how to do it:
1.  Download the binutils 2.11.90.0.8 from linuxppc website and build it.
2.  Download the gcc-2.95.3 from linuxppc website and build it.
3. Using rsync, I've downloaded both the 2.4 and 2.4dev kernel trees from
the mvista server per the directions on the linuxppc website.
4.  In either case, I copied the arch/ppc/boot/images/ibmchrp_defconfig to
my .config and then run make menuconfig.

Things I had to config in the kernel:
o  Turn off /def fs support.  From hollis, this kills the debian installer.
   In my case, this was what prevented me from getting past the first
screen.
   See previous post to this mailing list.
o  Enable ramddisk and initrd support.
o  Add the following options to the boot args:
   root=/dev/fd0 load_ramdisk=1
   hollis said I could do without those args and use this openfirmware
command
   instead: setenv boot-file root=/dev/fd0 load_ramdisk=1
o  Later, after you get up your system and you want to boot the kernel via
   tftpboot but not use the ramdisk and floppy but instead want to use the
    harddisk as a root filesystem use these args:
   root=/dev/sda1

5.  make dep clean zImage
6.  Copy the arch/ppc/boot/zImage.chrp-r6k to my /tftpboot directory.
7.  edit /etc/inetd.conf to use /tftpboot instead of /boot for tftp server.
    restart dhcpd and inetd /etc/init.d/dhcp restart and /etc/init.d/inetd
restart.

Here is my /etc/dhcpd.conf file:

always-reply-rfc1048 true;
deny unknown-clients;
not authoritative;
default-lease-time 600;
max-lease-time 7200;

subnet 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
      allow bootp;
      group {
            host r6k {
                  hardware ethernet 00:04:ac:97:92:05;
                  fixed-address 192.168.0.2;
                  filename "zImage.rs6000";
            }
      }
}

Here is some other info:

I had to use tcpdump to determine the mac address of the rs6k.  SMS gave a
mac address, but
it wasn't the one used.  I don't know why.

Also, need to do:
arp -s ipaddy macadd eg. arp -s 192.168.0.2 00:04:ac:97:92:05

Also, use SMS to configure the ip address for the ether port.  Even if
you are on the same subnet as the box, set the gateway address the same as
the host address.  There is a firmware patch which corrects this, but I
didn't have it installed and I needed it.   For what its worth,
I have firmware revision: TCP00265

I also had to tweak my kernel on the host server. eg i386 laptop.
o  Enable Packet Socket and Socket Filtering so you can tftpboot in your
host kernel.

8. dd if=root.bin of=/dev/fd0 bs=1024 conv=sync; sync

I got my root.bin from debian potato dist site and powerpc chrp version.

11.  In openfirmware on the rs6000, I issued boot net and it started
booting linux.  It used
the vga as a display. ie. no serial console needed.

12,  When prompted by kernel to insert floppy, I did so and started install
process. It complained
about my disk partioning, but it wasn't a problem.  I ignored the prompts
and ran sfdisk.
I created one large partiton of type 82, one 5 MB 0x41 partition and a
swap.  I then did
every step in the install.
13.  When I rebooted, it failed to boot.  Not a problem.  I rebuilt my
kernel so it used
a root fs via harddisk and booted that.

So, I have a debian install which shows a nice console setup with virtual
terminals and it can
use the cdrom to apt-get install packages.  I don't have X support at this
point and I don't have
boot from the hard disk either.

John F. Davis

Rolf Brudeseth/Austin/IBM@IBMUS on 08/14/2002 11:51:29 AM