Re: Updated XFS enabled boot-floppies (and oldworld fix)

On Sun, Aug 11, 2002 at 02:54:13PM +0200, Michel Dänzer wrote:

> That's not related to file corruption or the XFS patches, is it? I'm
> mainly interested in that.

sorry didn't look at what you were referencing in my mail.

the problem was XFS not marking some blocks added to a file as new,
causing extraneous garbage to show up at the end of a file, but only
if you read the file via mmap() (gcc 3.1 does this, and thus reports
syntax and other errors in lines which apparently do not exist. any
program which uses mmap on files will malfunction).

there is a utility to check for files with this problem and repair
them, i made a couple minor enhancments and bugfixes to it:
http://penguinppc.org/~eb/files/mapcheck.c

to scan but not repair run mapcheck -n -v -a  to repair remove the -n
switch.

the bug first appeared in later 2.4.18 CVS snapshots, and was fixed
there a couple weeks later, it reappeared sometimes in the 2.4.19-pre
stages in XFS CVS (definitly including -rc2 through final 2.4.19 split
patches) its currently fixed in CVS, or i have the standalone patch
against 2.4.19+split patches if your like my and prefer to stay at
known snapshots.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/