USB CD/RW?

I need a decent backup device for an 8500 and i'm short of PCI slots.  I've
only been able to find one SCSI CD/RW locally and it costs a small fortune.
Do any USB CW/RW drives work (as i'm already using USB for other devices)?
I'm asking because the FAQ-type information on this subject seems to be
contradictory on this question and may not be that PowerPC specific.  Yes,
i know these devices may be slow, but i don't really have room to add a
IDE board and intend to leave backups running overnight in any case.  Are
there any other meaningful options with low media costs?

			      -- KD6PAG