Re: advice on iBook firewire, wireless & usb connections saught

On Tue, 2002-08-06 at 21:46, Rory Campbell-Lange wrote:
> 1) Firewire
>    I have a Lacie 20Gb external firewire disk. Is it possible to mount
>    this if is formatted suitably (presumably as HFS) ?

I'll take this one :)

In short, yes.  Here's what I did for my Lacie 80GB external:

* ensure 'hotplug' is installed, this makes it easier to load the right
drivers

* ensure kernel modules 'ieee1394' and 'ohci1394' are loaded (use
modconf to switch these on)

hotplug will then load the right drivers for the disk

your disk should appear as /dev/sda. check /var/log/syslog for a message
like this:

"Attached scsi disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0"

use mac-fdisk /dev/sda to partition your disk, and then make a file
system on it with mke2fs or mkreiserfs.  personally i use reiserfs.

i have not formatted my disk as HFS as i don't need it to be readable
outside of linux.

-- Edd