Cannot boot woody

After installing woody on a powerbase 180 with a G4 upgrade card, the first time I tried to boot up I got the following errors:

--> Inconsistency detected by ld.so: dynamic-link.h: 62: elf-get-dynamic-info: Assertion '!"bad dynamic tag"' failed !

After ten of these messages, booting stops with the message:

--> INIT: ld "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

..and after five minutes the messages repeat.   Are there some kernel options I should be using?  Or should I reformat the
drive and try again ?

Marvin Germain