SMP on 9600 Success; First Time Poster

Hey everyone,

Recently I bought an old 9600 200MP for $150 from a local Goodwill store. Since I've been a machead for a long time, and have recently been getting involved in *nix (Solaris and Linux) I decided I'd put Linux on it (I was originally looking for a Sun box, but saw this and couldn't pass up the opportunity). So I read up on the different distros, and decided to try MkLinux. I realized later that MkLinux is a dinosaur and almost no development is still done on it (not to mention SMP ain't easy to enable), so I went with Debian instead (on a friend's recommendation).
I added some memory to the system so I now have a total of 608MB, all interleaved. I also added an adaptec 2940, a 4GB 10,000 rpm cheetah as the swap drive, a 3com 10/100 NIC, a Promise Ultra66 IDE controller, and an ixMicro TV tuner card.
I had some trouble getting SMP working, but I finally figured out the precompiled Debian 2.4.18 SMP kernel was flipping my SCSI buses (Ben H suggested this to me), so after resetting those in quik and in fstab all appears well. I've attached the ouput from "cat /proc/cpuinfo" to the bottom of the message. I'm now running distributed.net, with 200% CPU usage!
I also had some video problems with the IM Twin Turbo drivers, so I just passed "video=ofonly" as a kernel argument disabling hardware acceleration (not important to me, this box is going to be run headless once I get it set up - I didn't even install X windows).
I just wanted to say I'm glad to see that Debian is the Linux of choice on PPC today (YDL too) and that there is a healthy PPC linux community. I hope to be active on this list from now on, with conflicts and problems if I find them. If anyone else needs help on an SMP system, I'd be glad to share what I've learned, albeit I'm still a newbie at this, too.

Regards,
Bobby MacGregor

Bobby MacGregor
Austin, TX, USA

"If a million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing."
--Anatole France [Jacques Anatole Thibault] (1844-1924)

processor : 0
cpu : 604e
clock : 200MHz
revision : 2.2 (pvr 0009 0202)