Binding a click to a key

I have been having some problems getting my second and third mouse buttons mapped to keys.
i have a dual usb ibook 500mhz with 192mb ram.
uname -a
Linux freed0m 2.4.18-newpmac #1 Thu Mar 14 22:44:49 EST 2002 ppc unknown
i have tried the method in which u change the value of /proc/sys/dev/mac_hid/*
mouse_button2_keycode
mouse_button3_keycode
mouse_button_emulation
(those are the only 3 files in that dir)
i have tried all combinations, i used the keycodes that `showkey` has given me but to no avail
next i tried using `xev` in xwindows to see if X was using it's own keymap differnt from the console's.
turns out i was right ( i think ) xev gave me differnt keycodes then showkey. but even when i change /proc/sys/dev/mac_hid/
files to those new values it still doesnt work. im not sure what else to try to do. i cant seem to find any good documentation anywhere on this.