Re: X getting close (was X won't start)

On  18 Jun, this message from Marc Stergionis echoed through cyberspace:
>>>Hmmm... Any specific reason to do that? It seems like a big step
>>>backwards to me..
>>
>>Me too, but (under woody) my keycodes were a mess, display seemed
>>off (of course it seems to be off now, too) and Chris pointer to
>>solve the keycodes problem could *not* be accessed on my second
>>machine (Mac OS X) although I could get it to the point of
>>www.debian.org/ports/powerpc ... don't know why
>>
>>Since I could still work on the G4 while letting Debian install on
>>the 8600, I figured what the heck ...
>
> Oh yeah, now I remember the main reason ... I just went ahead and
> *did* reupgrade the 8600 from 2.2r6 to woody.
>
> When I type
>
> startx
>
> it says
>
> xinit: No such file or directory (errno 2): no server "X" in PATH

apt-get install xserver-xfree86

I seem to remember lots of 'useful' packages don't get installed on
woody when upgrading from potato.

Concerning the mouse:

>>What mouse setting are you using in X? What kernel? Is gpm running? On
>>what device?
>
> Kernel 2.418-0.9a? that's what pops up when I do virtual console.

That's OK.

> Mouse,
> Protocol "BusMouse:
> Device "/dev/mouse"

Utterly wrong. Here is what you need in XFree 4.1:

        Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/mice"
        Option          "Protocol"              "ImPS/2"

Mind you, this might not work for xfree 3. You might as well check to
make sure you have XFree 4.1 installed:

dpkg -l xfree86-common

If that doesn't show something like this:

ii  xfree86-common 4.1.0-16       X Window System (XFree86) infrastructure

than you haven't got it installed. The two 'ii' at the start of the line
is the important point.

> Those are the only things uncommented (the others appear to apply to
> specific pointing devices and/or second mice.
>
> gpm? I don't know how to find out if that's running.

dpkg -l gpm. If it shows 'ii' at the statrt of the line, then you've got
it installed. gpm provides mouse services in text consoles. If you don't
need that, just remove gpm:

apt-get remove gpm

If you want to keep it, make sure to point gpm at /dev/input/mice as
mouse device (which can be shared with X). Probably in /etc/gpm.conf or
something comparable; I don't have it installed.

Cheers

Michel

L-1710 Luxembourg              |
email   mlan@cpu.lu            |