exporting nfs root

I am trying to netboot 11 g3 macs from a g3 running debian.  I have
successfully setup tftp and bootp and the client machines load a kernel
and begin to boot off the server but fail to complete the boot process as
there is no root file system.

I wish to export the root file system of the server to the clients via
NFS.  I have compiled a custom kernel with kernel level
autoconfiguration, BOOTP support, NFS file system support, and Root file
system on NFS.  Both the server and the client use this kernel.

My yaboot.conf for the clients looks like:

device=enet:
partition=0
timeout=50
default=linux

image=vmlinux
        label=linux
        root=/dev/nfs

my /etc/exports looks like:

/tftpboot/192.168.1.100 192.168.1.100(rw,no_root_squash)

However, at boot  time I get the following:

Boot-NFS: No NFS server available, giving up
VFS: Unable to mount root fs via NFS, trying floppy
VFS: Cannot open root device "nfs" or 02:00
Kernel Panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 02:00

The client doesn't even see the NFS server.  How do I verify that NFS is
running and sharing a valid file system to boot from?  Indeed, I do not
quite understand the export itself either.  Was is it trying to export? A
copy of the server's root file system located at /tftpboot/<ip>?