Possible input problem with xfree86_4.2.0-0pre1v1 and sawfish-gnome

I just built the new debs for powerpc, and I was having some problem
with the behavior of my USB Mouse and keyboard for the duration of an X
Session and I am unable to repeat it.

I am running xfree86_4.2.0-0pre1v1 from gdm with gnome-session and
sawfish-gnome 1.0.1.20020116.

My hardware is a first generation G4 Powerbook (With a Rage128 M3), and
I am running: 2.4.19-pre8-ben0 with the r128 DRI module, and I am using
the r128 driver for my display.

Here is the running problem that I was having:

There are some regular but intermitant problems with registering mouse
clicks, and some key combinations yeild odd results. All revolving
around change of focus.

EG:
In gnome, my task list sometime takes a couple of clicks before the the
active window changes.  Alert dialogs from evolution especially seem to
have problems getting focus.

Clicking the mouse in a gnome-terminal selects the whole line
some-times, the rest of the time, it selects a just a word.  Also, using
a drag to select only selects to word boundaries.

In evolution compose message dialog, Often, after click or using the
down arrow followed by pressing the shift key results in the input focus
changing from the message text to either the scroll bar or the subject
textbox.

I am having alot of difficulty describing a 100% reliable case where
these glitches occur, but they occur very frequently. For instance
capitalizing the I at the beginning of this paragraph took about 10
tries before I could stop the focus shifting to the subject line.

On recollection, the problem with selection in gnome-terminal was always
apparent.

I am now going to try and do some tests with a different windowmanager
(Currently I am using sawfish-gnome which I upgraded at the same time as
X [As I had a problem with gnome starting from gnome session despite the
gnome dialog getting past the "Starting Gnome Windowmanager" icon
without pause..)

ii  sawfish-gnome  1.0.1.20020116 A highly configurable window manager
for X11

Okay..  from the sawfish program menu, I switched to windowmaker, and I
am still having the same problems.

Now to see if it is just something wrong with this X session.

Well suprise suprise.. sawfish didn't start.  (I'll get an error later)
but when I set the window manager to windowmaker from
gnome-control-center, I get none of the problems that I was experiencing
earlier.

Particularly not the onl

I have full HID support and am using /dev/input/mice

--
Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Generic Video Card"

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "CorePointer"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/mice"
        Option          "Protocol"              "ImPS/2"
EndSection

--
dstanawa@ciderbox:~$ dmesg |egrep -i
'(keyboard)|(mice)|(mouse)|(input)|(adb)|(hid)'
Kernel command line: root=/dev/hda11 ro keyboard_sends_linux_keycodes=1
hdc=ide-scsi single
input0: Macintosh mouse button emulation
adb: starting probe task...
usb.c: registered new driver hid
hid-core.c: v1.8.1 Andreas Gal, Vojtech Pavlik <vojtech@suse.cz>
hid-core.c: USB HID support drivers
mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
adb devices: [2]: 2 c3 [3]: 3 1<6>EXT3-fs: INFO: recovery required on
readonly filesystem.
ADB keyboard at 2, handler 1
Detected ADB keyboard, type ANSI.
input1: ADB HID on ID 2:2.c3
input2: ADB HID on ID 7:7.1f
ADB mouse at 3, handler set to 4 (trackpad)
input3: ADB HID on ID 3:3.01
adb: finished probe task...
input4,hiddev0: USB HID v10.01 Keyboard [Mitsumi Electric Apple Extended
USB Keyboard] on usb1:3.0
input5,hiddev0: USB HID v10.01 Pointer [Mitsumi Electric Apple Extended
USB Keyboard] on usb1:3.1
input6,hiddev0: USB HID v10.01 Mouse [Logitech USB Mouse] on usb1:4.0

--
David Stanaway