Re: First time installing Debian!

On Wed, Jun 12, 2002 at 06:50:38PM -0300, Luiz C. Guidolin wrote:
> Hi everybody, this is the first time I'm trying to install Debian on my
> Mac and I'm having a few problems on this matter, and I'd like to know if
> anyone of you guys could help me. First of all, there may be some English
> errors, because I'm from Brazil and I don't write in English very often so,
> feel free to tell me about them.
> I have a blue iMac G3 333 and I'm trying to install Debian 2.2r6 (potato)
> and I'm having a few basic problems on partitioning my hd, installing X11
> and setting up my Internet connection.
> I don't know either if this list is the best place I can find these
> answers, if it isn't please let me know. I'm describing, below, the
> problems I'm having, so if you can give me some answers or give me some
> place to look for them, please do.
>
> OK, the problems are:
>
> 1) I'm not sure how to partition my hd in order to have both Debian and
>    Mac OS X running "together". I've partitioned my hd using OS 9.1, on
>    witch I created 2 partitions, then I boot with Debian and repartitioned
>    this way:
>
>    hda1 => Partition Map
>    hda2 => bootstrap => on witch I'm using yaboot
>    hda3 => kernel
>    hda4 => swap
>    hda5 => usr
>    hda6 ....
>    hda13 => Apple_HFS => Mac OS X
>
>    Then I put the line macosx=hda13 on yaboot.config, but it doesn't work.

I didn't think OSX could be installed on an Apple_HFS partition. I thought it
had to be HFS+.

Anyway, so what doesn't work? It doesn't display macosx as an option in the
boot menu, or it doesn't boot once you select it? If it doesn't display macosx,
probably you didn't run ybin after editing the yaboot.conf? I always forget,
so I added a comment in my yaboot.conf:

# You must run ybin for changes to take effect!!!

> Now about installing X11:
>
> 2) What is the mouse protocol?
>    I have the original mouse that comes with the computer with only one button.
>
>       And the choices are:
> 	* PS/2
> 	* Microsoft
> 	* Mouse Systems
> 	* Logitech Intellimouse or GPM Repeater
> 	* Other

PS/2

>   By the way, shall I use 3 buttons emulation??? There is only one button
>   my mouse!!! :-)

It's pretty important to be able to simulate a right-click in X... emulation
means you will use say F12 to mean right-click.

> 2) Mouse Device?
> 	/dev/mouse or /dev/usbmouse or ???

/dev/input/mice

> 3) Horizontal Sync Range of my monitor???
> 	I don't have a clue. I've been trying to find it at Apple's site
> 	but without success.

60 Hz (I use 58-62)

> 4) Clockchip?
> 	I don't have a clue either. Actually I really don't know what it
> 	is!

Not needed AFAIK

> Now about the Internet connection:
>
> 5) Internet
>    I'm using a ADSL with dynamic IP witch requires authentication. On X I
>    just have to set PPP => PPPoe and provide my info, such as login and
>    password and it works.
>
>    But when I tried to configure the application pppoe I couldn't
>    understand anything!!

I don't use ppp. Have you tried man pppoe or man pppoeconf?

> :-) I think it is all for now!! :-)
>
> Thank you very much for helping me!! Hope I can help you some day!
>

>                -)------+====+          Luiz Carlos Guidolin
>         -)----====    ,'   ,'
>               `.  `.,;___,'
>                 `, |____l_\   E-Mail: lcguid@socrates.if.usp.br
>   _,....------c==]""______ |  WWWURL: http://www.socrates.if.usp.br/~lcguid
>  "-:_____________  |____l_|]  More Info: finger lcguid@socrates.if.usp.br
>         -)-----====   `.   `.    "Ahead warp factor one, Mr. Sulu."

Very artful.

Note, that many of these questions have been covered in previous
discussions on this list, actually some are FAQ. The search page is at
http://lists.debian.org. Please search the archives of both this list
and debian-user, and in your case debian-user-portuguese, try apropos
(search-term), man (command-name) and try www.google.com, before
asking questions which are likely to be already-answered.