Re: iBook WLAN

On Mon, 2002-06-10 11:14:03 -0600, Nate Duehr <nate@natetech.com>
wrote in message <[🔎] 22297.65.215.157.30.1023729243.squirrel@telluride.natetech.com>:
> You may want to e-mail PPC-specific questions to the debian-powerpc list
> instead of debian-laptop.
> The group is fairly active and lots of helpful folks are lurking around in
> there... I'll cross-post this for you, but definitely sign up for that
> list if you're going to be using PPC Debian.  It's worth doing.
> > On Sun, 2002-06-09 at 15:46, J. Volkmann wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > after I saw some iBooks on the Linuxdays at Karlsruhe, I descided to
> > buy one by myself. Because I don't want to be dependant of a cable, I
> > descided to use the built-in AirPort.

Good idea, i did this in march....

> > Now I have 2 questions:
> > 1. Does the AirPort run on linux or should i use another card?

The iBook has no pcmcia slot, you have to use the airport crad an i type
this mail via wlan on my ibook... works very well...

> > 2. Because I don't have another WLAN card on one of my PCs, i thought
> > buying an access point would be fine, as soon there will be more
> > laptops in my family. But the apple access point costs 400 EUR which
> > is extremely expensive compared to an standard access point e.g. from
> > Snogard.de (cheapest is 209 EUR). So my question is, if it is possible
> > without too much of effort?

No deal, i have an SMC-AP, simple plug'n play....

Some hints for you: you will have hard work, especally when you come
from i386 plattform, for myself it took 4 days to success in installing
on my ibook, if cd-install does not succeed, try copying the installer
files to an hfs partition and try to install from there, when you have
video problems, use video=ofonly untill you have fixed the problem.

it's definitely more complicated than on i386 and you habe to do same
things by hand, but you will get a good durable notebook with stabble
power management (i boot my iBook less than once the week...)

For german keymaps or when you have problems just contact me...

AVE!
  phils...

--
     PHILIPP SCHMIDT / phils - - + - - > philipp@ppc.in-berlin.de
                                 ` - - > http://home.pages.de/~phils/

Lbh unir whfg ivbyngrq gur Qvtvgny Zvyraavhz Pbclevtug Npg ol oernxvat gur
cebgrpgvba bs pbclevtugrq zngrevny.  Vs lbh ner abg n pvgvmra be erfvqrag bs
gur HFN, lbh evfx orvat vzcevfbarq naq uryq jvgubhg lnvy sbe hc gb gjb jrrxf
hcba ragel gb gur HFN (c) Copyright 2001 by Hartmann Schaffer (signature only)