Compiling kernel on ibook2: no keyboard

Hi,

I got the new ibook G3 700 with a Radeon and i'm trying to setup debian
on it. Everything is working ok (i compiled xfree 4.2 for the radeon),
except that i can't compile a working kernel !

I am using right now the default kernel of the debian installer (no
sound, no power management, no radeon, no dri) and i have to use
video=ofonly to boot if i don't want my screen to be scrambled.

I tried to compile the source package of the distribution and i tried
the benH tree (with its default configuration), and still i get
kernels booting ok, with the radeon driver ok, the power management
ok, but my keyboard is not recognized, the keys are in a completely
random position : (1-2-3-4-5 write q-w-e-r-t, 8 is [enter], e is [tab],
[space] is N and so on...) even with video=ofonly so i don't think
it's linked to the radeon. i can't login.

By the way is there any proper way to reboot in this situation,
because i am reseting every time without umounting the file system ?

When i boot with my -bad- kernel i see some ADB stuff beeing loaded
but it scrolls quickly so i could't write it down.

can anyone tell me what went wrong ?

marc