Re: R: radeon on newest ibooks

On Sun, Jun 09, 2002 at 01:29:02PM +0200, mijio@mac.com wrote:
> Domenica, Giugno 9, 2002, alle 12:41 PM, Benjamin Herrenschmidt ha
> scritto:
>
> This is probably due to the radeonfb driver trying to set an incorrect
> mode on your LCD. This should have been fixed in recent versions of the
> driver in my rsync tree, which is why I'm asking you to test.
>
> As soon as possible (my free time is really limited now) i'm going to
> install it.
>
> btw: to have exactly the same hw configuration is one of the
> interesting things in the
> apple machines. I wonder why there are not sites maintaining
> configuration files like
> for Xfree for these machines. Maybe it's simply me, but I didn't find
> something like that
> anywhere. ibooklinux.net is still referencing old-ibook model hw
> features, too.
> Someone knows something more?

I recently installed Debian on a PowerBook G4 667 (3. generation, with
DVI and Radeon M7), and I ran into some similar problems. After a week
or so searching for information and trying various things, I got X
working. Basically, this was what I had to do:

1. Install Ben's latest kernel (at the moment, I'm running
   2.4.19-pre10-ben0)
2. Find a working modeline for my LCD screen. This thread contains much
   helpful information:
   http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2002/debian-powerpc-200205/msg00399.html

As far as I remember, this was enough to get X running with the fbdev
driver, however, to get hw acceleration,

3. Download XFree86 4.2 from
   http://www.penguinppc.org/~daenzer/XFree86-4.2/
4. Make /etc/X11/X point to /usr/local/X11R6/bin/XFree86
5. Use 'Driver "radeon"' instead of 'Driver "fbdev"' (if you want accel)
6. Copy /usr/local/X11R6/lib/modules/dri/radeon_dri.so into
   /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri

It's working almost perfectly now. The only problem I've noticed is that
the screen becomes garbled some times when switching consoles. It goes
away when switching consoles again.

I hope this will be helpful.

Regards,
  Håvard Skinnemoen