Re: eata.c module and PCI setup problem (RAID SCSI card)

On   6 Jun, this message from Antoine Delvaux echoed through cyberspace:
>> > in the module source.  That doesn't output much though...
>> >
>> > Jun  5 09:23:22 brocoli kernel: >IN from bad port 338 at d006092c
>> > Jun  5 09:23:22 brocoli kernel: IN from bad port 338 at d006092c
>> > Jun  5 09:23:22 brocoli last message repeated 452 times
>> > Jun  5 09:23:22 brocoli kernel: EATA0: detect, do_dma failed at
> 0x330.
>>
>> Is there any particular reason why you have different IO ports now?
>
> Yes, I've tried the card in another PCI port...  And, as you told, that
> didn't helped.

Sorry, I meant why in the above log output you have an IN from port 338
and not port 1408 as in some of your other traces.

[snip]
>> But it's easier to debug after seing the logs produced without io=
>> options. You should definitely get some more debug output.
>
> I've done it with io= option as well as without.  That didn't changed
> much.  But maybe there's something else in the way preventing me from
> seeing the logs.  Sometimes the logs seems to be truncated in some way.
> For example :
>
> Jun  6 00:44:57 brocoli uptimed: moving up to position 36: 0 days,
> 02:29:22
> Jun  6 00:50:39 brocoli kernel: 928
> Jun  6 00:50:39 brocoli kernel: IN from bad port 338 at d0060928
> Jun  6 00:50:39 brocoli last message repeated 454 times
>
> The first error line is cropped.  Is syslogd (or klogd) not catching
> everything ?

syslog should definitely catch everything. What is amazing is the number
of IN's reported in the logs: 454 reads from a port is a lot for the
detection of a device...

I'd suggest looking through the output of dmesg, but that only prints
the kernel's circular message buffer, which is limited in size. So you
might not get enough old messages that way...

> Something else that can be worthy, after I've tried to load the module,
> the PCI card seems to be hanged.  There are some leds on it, that are
> flashing in cycle after the card is initialized at bootup.  After an
> insmod, the two most external ones light up and stays in this state.  If
> I remember correctly, a few seconds after an insmod on the i386 box, all
> the leds where again flashing in cycle.

That can happen while you poke at it. On thing I'd do in the driver is
remove the ISA and EISA detection routines on PowerMacs (at least for
you as a test); no Mac ever had these busses. Some CHRP machines do; so
that would need some advanced ifdef'ing :).

Cheers

Michel

L-1710 Luxembourg              |
email   mlan@cpu.lu            |