eata.c module and PCI setup problem (RAID SCSI card)

Hello all,

I'm currently trying to make a DPT PM2144UW PCI card with a
SmartCache IV and 64 MB working.  It's a UW SCSI raid controller.  The
card is working fine in an Intel based box with the eata driver.  But in
my PowerMac 7500 G3, I can't make it work.

Since two days I've been in touch with the developper of the eata.c
driver (Ballabio Dario) and he gave me a few debug version of that
driver to play with.  Unfortunately we have come to a point where he
can't do more since the problem seems to come from PCI code of the ppc
kernel tree.

If anyone here have experience in this field, I welcome his advices as
do not know where to start to search.  With the latest debugging enabled
eata.c module given by Ballabio, I've got the following output :

# insmod eata.o io_port=0x1400
eata.o: init_module: No such device
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters,
including invalid IO or IRQ parameters
# tail /var/log/syslog
Jun  4 13:52:38 brocoli kernel: IN from bad port 1408 at d005392c
Jun  4 13:52:38 brocoli kernel: IN from bad port 1408 at d005392c
Jun  4 13:52:38 brocoli last message repeated 440 times
Jun  4 13:52:38 brocoli kernel: EATA0: detect, do_dma failed at 0x1400.
drivers/scsi#

And here is his answer :

------------
The message
 IN from bad port 1408 at d005392c
comes from linux/arch/ppc/kernel/traps.c
(about line 162, inside #ifdef CONFIG_ALL_PPC)
It looks like your setup is not able to read a single byte from location
0x1408.
This is what I'm trying to do to see if the board is there (inb(0x1400 +
eata_reg_offset).
So either you can fix your hw/kernel parameters in order to allow inb()
from a legal I/O port address, otherwise there is nothing I can do for
you. I had a look to the sources of the other 2 scsi drivers you use
(mesh and mac53C94) and they use an approach to I/O very specific to the
MAC architecture. Nothing that can be implemented in the EATA driver
without a full rewrite.

I do not know where to start, is the inb() function supposed to do
exactly the same on i386 and ppc ?  Where could the problem come from ?

I've forgotten to tell I'm running Debian Woody with a 2.4.18 kernel
from the main tree.

Thanks for any pointer,

Antoine.