Re: Boot Problem -- Firmware?

On Tue, May 28, 2002 at 03:32:17PM -0400, Brian Kim wrote:
> Ok, I've got what may be an obscure problem. I am installing Debian on our
> file server here (PMac 8500/150) and used a PMac 8500/180 as a test bed
> before trying to perform the install. The 180 successfully booted and
> installed without a hitch (save the poor firmware instructions in the
> install guide). Now, trying to boot off the boot-floopy-hfs.img image on
> the server fails. Here's what happens:
>
> 1. Gray screen appears
> 2. Happy Mac appears
> 3. Tux next to a monitor appears (approx. 10-20 seconds, floppy access
> audible)
> 4. A red 'X' over a changed tux (no monitor) appears and boot halts
>
> I've tried asking on #debian (openprojects.net) with no replies and I'm
> sure my floppies are good (ran cmp after dd and the md5sum on the disk
> image is good). If it's of any use, my floppies seemed to have gotten
> written at some point during boot -- using them without write protection
> results in floppies that are ejected automatically on boot. Running cmp on
> the modified floppy results in the second byte showing up as being
> incorrect. I didn't think to run diff (although I should've). This problem
> happens with both the stable and testing images. Both versions of the
> floppy are bootable on the 180.

>From AppleSpec, it looks like the difference between the two machines
is that the 150 is a 604 while the 180 is a 604e. I don't think this
should make a difference to Linux, but I just thought I'd mention it.

The stable and testing floppy images have different boot arguments (one
has video=ofonly while the other doesn't). Since neither works, I guess
it's not worthwhile to try changing the arguments. However, if you
need to change them, there is a script for doing so at

cvs.debian.org/boot-floppies/powerpc-specials/miBoot/patch-floppy-image.pl

Try BootX to boot the installer from MacOS (set the ramdisk to root.bin).
You can turn on the boot error log, maybe it will give a better clue what
is going on.