Re: Turning Airport card off on iBook

On Sat, Apr 27, 2002 at 11:16:51PM +0100, Edd Dumbill wrote:
> I'm going to be travelling shortly, and I expect the airline won't be
> happy if my iBook is emitting radio signals from the Airport card.  Any
> idea how I can turn the card off from inside Debian, or do I need to
> remove it?

First, your airport card isn't going to interfere with anything
related to flying the airplane.  There's absolutely no science
behind these in-flight electronics rules and it's all a bunch of
rubish.  It's the same form of rubbish that makes every gas station
in california prohibit use of cell phones near the gas pumps,
regardless of the giant whirling high-power electrical generator in
every car.  Sigh.

The reason you can't use your cell phone in the plane is because it
fucks up the terrestrial cellular network, not because it interferes
with the avionics.

Now that I have that off my chest...

You can disable your airport card by simply commenting out this line
in /etc/network interfaces:

auto eth0

change it to

# auto eth0

To bring the card up and down (for your nefarious terrorist
activities, no doubt), use 'ifup eth0' and 'ifdown eth0'.

See also 'man interfaces'.

-jwb