scsi tuning

Hi,

I have a Power Tower Pro with a G3/466 card running with scsi drives.  I am
running woody with kernel 2.2.20.  The drive is hooked up to the internal
scsci bus which supposedly can do 10MB/sec transfers (I think I got the right
specs; I do know that the external bus is half the speed of the internal).
The drive in question is:

mesh: target 1 synchronous at 10.0 MB/s
  Vendor: QUANTUM   Model: FIREBALL_TM3200S  Rev: 300X

I have an application that writes a lot of data to disk and it is quite slow
even slower than a PII (266) with 7200 rpm IDE drive.  I ran hdparm on my PT
Pro and got the following:

/dev/sdc:
 Timing buffer-cache reads:   128 MB in  3.33 seconds = 38.44 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in 10.39 seconds =  6.16 MB/sec

Is this kind of performance reasonable?  If not, is there much I can do to
tune the drive using hdparm?  Would putting in an ide card and drive and
tuning it yield higher performance?

Is this type of question better suited to a different list?

Thanks,

John Schmidt
jas@netbrick.com