when using XDM, lose mouse/kbd when logout

Configuration:
 Woody, Macintosh 7500 w/G3 card, flwm window manager

Problem:
When I use XDM to log in, everything seems fine, although the Xmessage
window does show up. THe only error mentioned is
  "modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module char-major-6"
Everything works fine in X, until I logout via the menu. When the login
screen comes back, I can no longer use my mouse or enter a username. I
*can* do a ctrl-alt-F2 to bring up a virtual console (doing that right
now).

This only happens when I use XDM. If I disable XDM, then I see no
problems. I don't see the "can't locate char-major-6" error, but grepping
for it in the logs shows that I've been getting it for some time.

What could be causing this? If the answer is RTFM, then kindly point me to
the right one, because I've looked all over.

I'll provide whatever logs will help. SOme of them are pretty large, so
tell me which sections you need ;-)

Thanks.

--
Paul F. Pearson (ppearson@hiwaay.net)     http://home.hiwaay.net/~ppearson/
"Lord heal our land. Father heal our land. Hear our cry and turn our nation