prep and boot-floppies (was bugid 141769)

Adam,

here are the answers on your questions and some extra info.

> Machine 1
> Bull Estrella 200 (Motorala Powerstack with utah board)
> PREP method PPCBUG firmware.
> PowerPC with 601 ? a 100 MHZ processor

Is this the machine you were using for the woody attempts?

-->Yes, this is the machine in the office and is not my own.
-->On this machine installing woody 226 and the download from 3022220020403
works fine

> Software used : Debian3.0.19PPCBeta

What is that?  Is it possible to use boot-floppies 3.0.22 (the latest) ?

--> Seems to be potato 2.2.3

> Booting of the net with tftp, using root from floppy.

I don't quite understand this.  If you boot on the net, you should
be able to use TFTP to get the root floppy, no?

> Saying that there are problems with the root floppy
> Booting from cdrom
> Saying that there are problems with the root floppy

What is the exact message?

--> I can reproduce it but that will be at a later time just as a reference
for the community.

> Did not test a complete boot from floppy, this has to be done.
> If the results are known I will let you know if you are interested

Very interested.

In fact, the above machine is installed now using the boot floppies.

> And finally my own machine
>
> Machine 2
> Bull Estrella 300 (Motorala Powerstack with utah board)
> PREP method openfirmware.
> PowerPC with 604e 200 MHZ processor
> Difference with the real motorola is the on-board vga which a Bull does
not
> have.

> Software used : Debian potato 2.2.3
>
> During the boot phase (flop,net and cdrom) I get the following messages
> concerning the scsi controller :
>
> ncr53c8xx : At PCI bus 0, device 12, function 0
> ncr53c8xx : setting PCI_COMMAND_IO PCI_COMMAND_MEMORY...
> ncr53c8xx : setting PCI_COMMAND_MASTER...(fix up)
> ncr53c8xx : changing PCI_LATENCY_TIMER from 0 to 80
> ncr53c8xx : 53c825a detected
> ncr53c825a-0 : rev 0x13 on pci bus 0 device 12 function 0 irq 15
> ncr53c825a-0 : ID 7, fast-io, parity checking
> scsi0 : ncr53c8xx-3.4.1-200000726
> scsi1: 1 host
> scsi aborting commmand due to timeout : pid 0, scsi0, channel 0, id 0,
lun
> 0, test unit ready 00 00 00 00
> ncr53c8xx_abort : pid 0 serial_number=1 serial_number_timeout=1
>
> Than the machine hangs.
>
> The same applies to the woody release 3.0.19 beta when booting from the
net
> or cdrom.
> Same message.

Ok, there might be a kernel boot-argument that you can use to work
around this.  Again, I'm only interested really in results using the
latest boot-floppies.

--> Latest info : The error message appears when booting from the boot
floppy using woody 3.0.22 !!!

And now the interesting part comes.

I finally succeeded in "getting something" to run as you already guessed
correctly.
The actual release running on this machine is the one that says 2.2.12 in
/proc/version.
This release installed correctly but couldn't be booted when the partition
was as follows :
1) primary partition Prep type 41 / 4 Mb
2) Logical partition Linux ext2 type 83 / 4 Gb
3) logical partition Linux swap type 82 / 128 Mb

Maybe the install guide from matt porter has to be modified.

I changed the partitioning scheme as follows :

1) primary partition Linux ext2 type 83 / 64 Mb
2) primary partition Prep boot type 41 / 4 Mb
3) primary partition Linux swap type 82 / 100 Mb

We now now that not only AIX was running without problems on this system,
but also an outdated debian release.
I want to use this minimal running system as a reference when creating a
bugreport in kernel-image-2.2.20-prep
The software says that my system is a Powerstack II pro4000.

Question : Can I use the /var/log/syslog as a reference to my hardware ?
           Any more wanted when creating the bug report ?
           What potato release am I running now (2.2.12) ?
           This is the full string in /proc/version : Linux version 2.2.12
(root@beef) (gcc version 2.95.1 19990816
           (release)) #1 Thue Nov 11 16:02:41 MST 1999

And here you will find the contents of the base2_2.tgz as mentioned on the
cdrom

Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge
uppercase=bad)
||/ Name            Version        Description
+++-===============-==============-============================================
ii  adduser         3.11.1         Add users and groups to the system.
ii  ae              962-26         Anthony's Editor -- a tiny full-screen
edito
ii  amiga-fdisk     0.04-1         Partition editor for Amiga
ii  apt             0.3.15         Advanced front-end for dpkg
ii  base-files      2.1.12         Debian Base System Miscellaneous Files
ii  base-passwd     3.1.5          Debian Base System Password/Group Files
ii  bash            2.03-3         The GNU Bourne Again SHell
ii  bsdutils        2.10d-3        Basic utilities from 4.4BSD-Lite.
ii  console-data    1999.08.29-8   Keymaps, fonts, charset maps, fallback
table
ii  debianutils     1.13.2         Miscellaneous utilities specific to
Debian.
ii  diff            2.7-20         File comparison utilities
ii  dpkg            1.6.4          Package maintenance system for Debian
ii  e2fsprogs       1.18-2         The EXT2 file system utilities and
libraries
ii  elvis-tiny      1.4-7          Tiny vi compatible editor for the base
syste
ii  fbset           2.1-5          Framebuffer device maintenance program.
ii  fdutils         5.3-3          Linux floppy utilities
ii  fileutils       4.0k-1         GNU file management utilities.
ii  findutils       4.1-34         utilities for finding files--find,
xargs, an
ii  ftp             0.10-3         The ftp client.
ii  gconv-modules   2.1.2-5        GNU C Library: Codeset conversion
modules
ii  gettext-base    0.10.35-11.0.0 GNU Internationalization utilities for
the b
ii  grep            2.4-1          GNU grep, egrep and fgrep.
ii  gzip            1.2.4-33       The GNU compression utility.
ii  hostname        2.07           A utility to set/show the host name or
domai
ii  kbd             0.99-8         Linux console font and keytable
utilities.
ii  ldso            1.9.11-5       The Linux dynamic linker, library and
utilit
ii  libc6           2.1.2-5        GNU C Library: Shared libraries and
timezone
ii  libgdbmg1       1.7.3-26.2     GNU dbm database routines (runtime
version).
ii  libncurses4     4.2-3.4        Shared libraries for terminal handling
ii  libnewt0        0.50-5.1       Not Erik's Windowing Toolkit - text mode
win
ii  libpam-modules  0.72-1         Pluggable Authentication Modules for PAM
ii  libpam-runtime  0.72-1         Runtime support for the PAM library
ii  libpam0g        0.72-1         Pluggable Authentication Modules library
ii  libpopt0        1.4-1          lib for parsing cmdline parameters
ii  libreadlineg2   2.1-16         GNU readline and history libraries,
run-time
ii  libstdc++2.10   2.95.2-3       The GNU stdc++ library
ii  libwrap0        7.6-1.1        Wietse Venema's TCP wrappers library
ii  locales         2.1.2-11.0.1   GNU C Library: National Language
(locale) da
ii  login           19990827-12    System login tools
ii  mac-fdisk       0.1-1.1        Apple disk partition manipulation tool
ii  makedev         2.3.1-35       Creates special device files in /dev.
ii  mawk            1.3.3-3        a pattern scanning and text processing
langu
ii  modconf         0.2.26.3       Device Driver Configuration
ii  modutils        2.3.7-1        Linux module utilities.
ii  mount           2.10d-3        Tools for mounting and manipulating
filesyst
ii  ncurses-base    4.2-3.4        Descriptions of common terminal types
ii  ncurses-bin     4.2-3.4        Terminal-related programs and man pages
ii  netbase         3.16-8         Basic TCP/IP networking binaries
ii  passwd          19990827-12    Change and administer password and group
dat
ii  pciutils        2.1.1-1        Linux PCI Utilities (for 2.[123].x
kernels)
ii  pcmcia-cs       3.1.2-1        PCMCIA Card Services for Linux.
ii  perl-5.005-base 5.005.03-4.1   The Pathologically Eclectic Rubbish
Lister
ii  powerpc-utils   1.1.3-1        Various utilities for Linux/PowerPC
ii  ppp             2.3.10-2       Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP) daemon.
ii  pppconfig       2.0.1          A text menu based utility for
configuring pp
iF  procps          2.0.6-3        The /proc file system utilities.
ii  quik            2.0-2          Bootloader for PowerMac or CHRP systems
ii  sed             3.02-4         The GNU sed stream editor.
ii  setserial       2.15-15        Controls configuration of serial ports.
ii  shellutils      2.0-4          The GNU shell programming utilities.
ii  slang1          1.3.9-1        The S-Lang programming library - runtime
ver
ii  sysklogd        1.3-33         Kernel and system logging daemons
ii  sysvinit        2.77-3         System-V like init.
ii  tar             1.13.15-1      GNU tar
ii  tasksel         1.0-1          New task packages selector
ii  tcpd            7.6-1.1        Wietse Venema's TCP wrapper utilities
ii  telnet          0.14-9         The telnet client.
ii  textutils       2.0-2          The GNU text file processing utilities.
ii  update          2.11-1         daemon to periodically flush filesystem
buff
ii  util-linux      2.10d-3        Miscellaneous system utilities.
ii  whiptail        0.50-5.1       Displays user-friendly dialog boxes from
she
ii  xviddetect      0.2-5          XFree86 installation helper

Hope to hear from you.

Regards Ronald Iemenschot