Re: /dev/dsp

What's the lsmod output looks like? Do you have ALSA installed? I've been going to the whole mambo of mucking around with sound last night (see previous post), so maybe I can help.

LdS

Thomas Peri wrote:
I've just installed woody new-powermac on my G4, and most things are working nicely. I'm stuck on getting sound to work, though.

Upon login to KDE, I was told that permission had been denied for /dev/dsp. I happily ignored it for the time being, and installed fluxbox, since I don't really care for KDE or Gnome. After I'd been using it for a while, it occurred to me that sound wasn't working here either. So I tried running xmms, and got the following error immediately:

libmikmod.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I don't know whether that's related. But when I tried to play something, I got a message similar to the one KDE had given:

** WARNING **: oss_open(): Failed to open audio device (/dev/dsp): Permission denied

...so I checked permissions:

crw-rw----    1 root     audio     14,   3 Mar 14 02:11 /dev/dsp

...added myself to group audio, tried playing in xmms again, and got the same error. So just for fun, I changed the permissions to world-read-writable:

crw-rw-rw-    1 root     audio     14,   3 Mar 14 02:11 /dev/dsp

...and tried playing in xmms again.  This time I got a new error:

** WARNING **: oss_open(): Failed to open audio device (/dev/dsp): No such device

I don't know where to go from here.  Can someone help please?

Thanks

Thomas Peri