Re: debootstrap error installing woody on Powerbook G3

On Fri, Apr 05, 2002 at 11:57:44AM +0100, Ian Collier wrote:
> I am doing (or attempting to do) a net install of woody using the latest boot new-powermac floppies (files dated April 2nd) on my Powerbook G3 (Pismo). (500Mhz, 640MB ram, 10gig free for linux)
>
> All seems to go fine until it configuring device drivers. When I select 'Next' it pauses a moment and skips straight to installing the base system and then while installing base system I get "debootstrap exited with an error (return value 139)".
>
> Looking in /var/log/messages there is one user.err massage about "del_loop ioctl got negative result doing LOOP_CLR_FD on device /dev/loop0; this is probably not a big deal"
>
> Anyone have any suggestions what might be going wrong, or how I can debug further?

Try booting the installer with an extra boot argument, 'debug'. At the yaboot prompt
you can just type

install debug

That will cause more messages to appear. Also, debootstrap messages appear separately
on console 4 after it gets started. Do you think it was during downloading, or during
the unpack/install phase of base installation?

Which Next are you referring to re: device drivers? The menu item

Next: Configure Device Drivers

instead starts the base install?

Is it possible it could have sucked up a few return key hits into the
keyboard buffer and applied them one after the other?