Re: Debian in PowerMac 9600

On Wed, Mar 20, 2002 at 07:09:47PM -0800, Marcelino Suzuki wrote:
>     I am trying to install Debian (Potato) in Powermac 9600 - 250
>
>     In the past I had YellowDog install properly in the same machine.
> However, I am really having a hard time making things work with Debian.
>     Number 1 problem is with BootX, that will not boot unless I have the
> "no video driver" checked.  It just hangs up with the MacOS window still
> open.  I tried a series of combinations with the video=XXX option, but
> it refuses to work.  The video card in the machibe is a Matrox
> Millenium.

Yes, you will need to have that checked.

>     Once it boots everything will start, until xdm.  The screen flashes
> 3 times, and I don't get a xwindows manager to start (no error
> messages).

There error messages are in /var/log/XFree86.0.log

I just get a login prompt.  If I try to open a window manager
> from the command line I get an error: "cannot open display (null)".

You must have an x server running to open a window manager

> Even if I get into csh, and try to setenv DISPLAY to that specific
> machine,  I sill get the "cannot open display (null)" error.

display (null) just means you don't have X running.

Sometimes it's a challenge to get X running on powerpc, particularly
in potato. The woody version of X (4.1.0-x) supports powerpc hardware
much better. So, I'd recommend upgrading to woody, assuming you have
a decent net connection:

editor /etc/apt/sources.list <-- add testing source
apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade woody

It's probably gonna be about 70MB to download, apt-get will tell you
and give you the option to cancel.