Re: 2 screens setup on 7500

I finally get them working !  Great !  Info beneath :

>> Where am I wrong ?  Is the ATI driver really working with a ATI 3D
>> Rage LT Pro ?  What bothers me a bit is the following message from
>> the log :
>>
>> (II) ATI(0): Maximum clock:  96.00 MHz
>>
>> Which I always get although I think the clock can go up to 220 MHz on
>> this card.  After this message, XFree is rejecting a lot of modes
>> because of 'bad mode clock/interlace/doublescan', can this be the
>> source of my problems ?
>
> It certainly was the reason for a higher mode getting rejected in one
> of your earlier posts.
>
> It looks like the atimisc driver doesn't correctly recognize your
> chip. Maybe you can force it to do the right thing with certain
> options, unfortunately I don't have any experience with that.
> Hopefully someone else can help.

That was it indeed.  But the setting wasn't obvious to find even when
looking at the README.ati file.  But after reading it again and again
and carefully reading the log file, I succeeded !

So if anyone here is trying to setup an ATI card and can't get good
results, here is a setting one can try in a the Device section :

        Option          "ReferenceClock" "29.5 MHz"

The frequency to use is shown at the kernel boot sequence, something
like :

atyfb: 3D RAGE LT PRO (PCI) [0x4c49 rev 0xdc] 8M SDRAM, 29.498928 MHz
XTAL, 230 MHz PLL, 100 Mhz MCLK Console: switching to colour frame
buffer device 160x64

For any reference, see section 5.16 of the README.ati file of XFree86

>> When experimenting all these settings, I've tried with a single head
>> setup to be sure there wasn't incompatibility between the two heads.
>
> That's a good approach, get the two heads working alone before trying
> to run them together.

It really helped !

Michel, thanks for your advices.

Antoine.