Re: 2 screens setup on 7500

On Fre, 2002-03-15 at 01:37, Antoine Delvaux wrote:
> Another follow up to my previous post, some trials later...

> >> If the server log looks like it's trying to drive both heads, but the
> >> monitor doesn't sync, a problem with the mode is possible.
> >
> > Yes, that seems to be the problem.  However I can't figure out to
> > build a correct mode for the screen (Apple Multiple Scan 20).  When I
> > boot with and stay in console mode with
> > 'video=atyfb:vmode:20,cmode:24' the screen is perfect.
>
> For experimentation purposes, I've tried connecting my other screen
> (Samsung LCD 15") to the ATI 3D Rage LT Pro card.  With screen settings
> similar to the ones used with the onboard card, I cannot make this card
> to work !
>
> But when I look into the logs I see :
>
> (**) ATI(0): Default mode "1024x768": 78.8 MHz, 60.1 kHz, 75.1 Hz
> (II) ATI(0): Modeline "1024x768"   78.80  1024 1040 1136 1312  768 769
> 772 800 +hsync +vsync
>
> ...which is exactly the same settings as the one generated with the
> onboard video (onboard video is functionning very well !).  But I've got
> no output, my LCD screen says : frequency too high....

Are you sure it's exactly the same mode?

> Where am I wrong ?  Is the ATI driver really working with a ATI 3D Rage
> LT Pro ?  What bothers me a bit is the following message from the log :
>
> (II) ATI(0): Maximum clock:  96.00 MHz
>
> Which I always get although I think the clock can go up to 220 MHz on
> this card.  After this message, XFree is rejecting a lot of modes
> because of 'bad mode clock/interlace/doublescan', can this be the source
> of my problems ?

It certainly was the reason for a higher mode getting rejected in one
of your earlier posts.

It looks like the atimisc driver doesn't correctly recognize your chip.
Maybe you can force it to do the right thing with certain options,
unfortunately I don't have any experience with that. Hopefully someone else
can help.

> When experimenting all these settings, I've tried with a single head
> setup to be sure there wasn't incompatibility between the two heads.

That's a good approach, get the two heads working alone before trying to
run them together.