Re: linuxppc install

On Tue, Mar 19, 2002 at 08:00:11AM -0300, Luis Alves Ferreira Filho wrote:
> Ooopps!
> I can read "Debian GNU/Linux non-US packages" at the top of
> README.non-US file. And all the references, install manuals, etc I could
> actually find in the Web were locate @debian site. And there is a folder
> named with the kernel version (i guess) that reads like "
> dists/potato/main/disks-powerpc/2.2.23-2001-04-15".

OK, so we're talking debian potato, not linuxppc. That is not the
kernel version, but the version number of the boot-floppies package.

> I could start automatically the installer from the floppy disk, but the
> installation stucks asking for a driver disk. It says this is driver
> disk 1 of # from set "x". I need driver disk from set <blank>. It's not
> an exactly reproduction of the warning message, but it gives a taste  of
> it: it knows that the disk i inserted belongs to a <named> set, but does
> not know the set name it wants. And i tried every driver disk in the CD,
> and they were all refused.

There should be a drivers.tgz file in the disks-powerpc/current/powermac.
That file can be used by the installer instead of the driver floppy set.

After booting from the floppy, and selecting Install Kernel and Modules,
which method are you using to install? Since you have a CD, you should
select CD-ROM rather than floppy. It should find all the files it needs
automatically. Same for the Base Installation later.