Re: woody/PowerMac 6400 - NIC driver install trouble

> On Tue, Mar 05, 2002 at 11:46:50PM -0600, Bruce A. Burdick, Jr. wrote:
>>> On Wed, Feb 27, 2002 at 10:59:34PM -0600, Bruce A. Burdick, Jr. wrote:
>> [... Snip ...]
>>
>>> I have this network card, but I'm using a 2.4.X kernel.
>>> Is the card already being used by ng_tulip compiled into the kernel?
>>> What does dmesg say?
>>>
>>> Another suggestion maybe to download the tulip driver source, pci-scan(?)
>>> from <http://www.scyld.com/network/tulip.html>.
>>>
>>> Anthony
>>
>> It's a chicken-and-egg problem. I can't get anything to recognize the card.
>> But I'm hoping to do a net install. So I can't get at dmesg yet -- Linux
>> isn't installed. Unless you know of some tricks I don't.
>
> dmesg is available in the installer.

Thanks for the tip about dmesg in the installer. I don't know why I was just
assuming that it wouldn't be there.

dmesg reports that the card isn't detected. There is one line about PCI,
"PCI: Probing PCI hardware", and then a line about adb devices. That's it.
Absolutely no mention of the network card. This same card works beautifully
in Mac OS on this machine, and in other machines under LinuxPPC (I haven't
installed any other Linux distros on this machine).

> When you configured the kernel modules in the installer, did you configure
> a tulip driver?

I tried to configure ng_tulip. That's what started this whole thread.

-B...