Re: Problems installing quik on Powermac 7200/90

On Tue, Mar 12, 2002 at 12:11:29PM +0100, Mark Baumann wrote:
> Hallo!
> I have some Problems installing quik on my Powermac.
> It was working already with bootx but i wanted to save some space and
> tried with quik. I read the archive of the last few months . But I am not
> able to get it working. OK here are the main steps i have taken:
> 1. Installed Debian Potato
> 2. mounted my root partition and chrooted to it (mount /dev/sda2 /target;
> chroot target;
> 3. mounted proc under target/proc (new root filesystem)
> 4. changed quik.conf to boot from /boot/vmlinux-2.2.19; no symlink!

This was the chroot /etc/quik.conf, right?

> 5. ofpath /dev/sda gave me /bandit/gc/53c93/sd@0:
> 6 nvsetenv boot-device /bandit/gc/53c93/sd@0:0

This seems not unreasonable; I have had good luck with quik using the
OF aliases also, such as scsi/sd@0:0 or scsi-int/sd@0:0

Try also

nvsetenv boot-file Linux         <-- the name of the label in quik.conf

or

nvsetenv boot-file scsi/sd@0:0/boot/vmlinux-2.2.19

Since you don't have any video, maybe quik is actually loading but the
default image isn't working, and you can't see it.

Also, you can see what OF is doing if you hook up another computer to
the modem port and start a ZTerm or similar comm program at 38400 8,N,1.

> 7. quik -f -v seems to be ok

Also, what partition does it install to? Try using that number instead
of 0 after the colon, e.g. scsi/sd@0:5