imsttfb agony

 I've been using linux for about 6 years now on the x86 side
and Debian for the last two and, as much as I hate admitting it,
I just can't figure out how to configure the kernel video with a
PowerPC. I think I have a Umax 9500 series clone and the kernel
identifies the video as /bandit/IMS,ttl128mb.

 If I let the kernel use its own video driver ("No Video Driver" is
unchecked in Bootx) the video just doesn't fit the screen. I get the
upper right corner of the console and the colors are off. Sometimes
I get the characters doubled and all the time the characters are big
and poorly scanned. If I try vmode=6:cmode=8 I just get more of the
same, although, sometimes it surprises me with a new inappropriate way
to draw text. I know my monitor can only handle 640x480@60hz but
it seems like I should at least be able to read the screen and see all
of the console once.

 I've tried the current kernels in stable/testing/unstable and I've
compiled a vanilla 2.4.19-pre1 using the patches from linuxppc_2_4 on
MontaVista. They all do the same thing.

 I've tried fiddling with X3 and X4.1 and they give garbage too.
It divides the screen into 5 parts. Four color bars at the top and
black at the bottom. The mouse cursor and the screen is replicated
inside each of the Four colored areas. The mouse moves, that is, the
mice move but that's about it.