fs mounting problem

Hello,

I just moved a disk to my PM9600 from an Alpha. It's a 68-pin UltraWide
SCSI, 23.2GB drive. It has a 68-pin -> 50-pin converter on it. My
problem is Linux (2.4.17) doesn't seem to want to mount it, when trying
to do so it says "mount: /dev/sdc6: unknown device". mac-fdisk also says
there is no readable partitions on the disk, however cfdisk correctly
sees them all:
sdc1	PRIMARY		FAT16		11.52
sdc5	LOGICAL		LINUX swap	2119.18
sdc6	LOGICAL		LINUX ext2	21074.29

sda contains MacOS 9. MacOS is able to see the FAT16 partition just
fine. I took the drive out and put it back in the Alpha and it works
fine. So my question is, why can't I get Linux to mount any partitions
from this disk?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

TIA,
Ron