Re: PowerMac 4400 stuck on boot floppy

On Tue, Mar 05, 2002 at 11:59:20AM -0600, Mack Allison wrote:
> I got ready to Install woody on my 4400, made some floppies, set my mac
> to boot from floppy. . . no go...it found the floppy, started to boot
> it, showed a little penguin on the screen, then stopped with a big red X
> over tux :(.
>
> No big surprise that my first floppy didn't work, but now the trouble
> is...it won't boot from anything else!  I expected that if it was set to
> boot from floppy, and no floppy was in the drive it would boot from HD,
> like it does with CD.  Nopers....it just waits patiently for the floppy
> disk.  Of course, it's not like there a MacOS system floppy for 8.1
> laying around.
>
> I try to go to Open Firmware, and force it to boot from HD or CD, but
> when I press the magical 4 keys (c'mon, guys, four?) the video signal
> dies (at least thats usually what makes the monitor go to sleep like
> that.)  I suppose it could be dropping to serial?
>
> What do I do now?

Yes, likely you're right.

Perhaps you have a bad floppy disk... anyway, to restore booting to MacOS,
try Cmd-Opt-PR to clear the parameter RAM. You have to hold it until you
hear the second chime.

You should also still be able to boot from CD, if you hold the C key. Then
use the Startup Disk control panel to set the startup back to the hard disk.