PowerMac 4400 stuck on boot floppy

I got ready to Install woody on my 4400, made some floppies, set my mac
to boot from floppy. . . no go...it found the floppy, started to boot
it, showed a little penguin on the screen, then stopped with a big red X
over tux :(.

No big surprise that my first floppy didn't work, but now the trouble
is...it won't boot from anything else!  I expected that if it was set to
boot from floppy, and no floppy was in the drive it would boot from HD,
like it does with CD.  Nopers....it just waits patiently for the floppy
disk.  Of course, it's not like there a MacOS system floppy for 8.1
laying around.

I try to go to Open Firmware, and force it to boot from HD or CD, but
when I press the magical 4 keys (c'mon, guys, four?) the video signal
dies (at least thats usually what makes the monitor go to sleep like
that.)  I suppose it could be dropping to serial?

What do I do now?
--
Mack Allison
Linux Support Services