Problem with non ascii characters...

I don't know what happened... I just run apt-get update/upgrade and after
installing a bunch of updates (I'm running unstable) turns out I can't
see/type/copy or paste any non-ascii characters...

I know this is as vague as it can be... but I don't even know where to
start to see what's the problem.

I have gnome installed (with sawfish/sawmill) and when I open 'gnome
character map' it doesn't even show the non-ascii characters. If I select
the proper font style (iso8859-1) they show up, but I can't copy or paste
them. Or even select them...

Any idea?

Benja