OT: Network traffic induced crashes

Hi,

This is completely off topic, but google'ing hasn't come
up with any thing close to an answer.

I was wondering if anyone else had this problem. During high network
traffic, my Mac (Starmax 4200, 96MB RAM, 100mbit card) randomly
freezes, requiring a hard reset. This happens in both MacOS and
Linux with either an old 10Mbit Farallon and a new 100Mbit Asante
network card. It doesn't matter whether I'm sending or receiving.

Could this be a CPU load thing (95%+ when transferring >700Kbytes/s)?
Doesn't seem like it since X seems to respond normally.

Or just bad luck with bad hardware?

Thanks,

Anthony