Re: XFree86 with acceleration on PowerBook G4

On Mon, 2002-02-18 at 18:19, Daniel Kleine-Albers wrote:

> currently i'm working with a non-accelerated Xserver over the aty128fb -
> Frambuffer Device. This is OK, but it's too slow to watch DVDs. So i'm
> trying to get it accelerated.
>
> So, I compiled a 2.4.17-kernel with benh-patch with dri and all the
> other things needed for fast graphics.
>
> If I start my Xserver with the config below, nearly everything looks
> fine, but i get an error in the Logs, which says:
> Static buffer allocation failed, need at least 10xxx KB Video RAM - but
> as i have only 8 MB, i just wonder how to get it to work.

This message is about DRI, for which there isn't enough VRAM in depth 24
- try 16.

However, DRI isn't needed for DVD playback, nor does it help before
4.2.0.

> After the Xserver starts, there's only a black screen with some blue and
> green lines (looks different every startup) - and i can't use it.
> (Switching back to the old config works just fine.)

This is strange. Might be a problem with your 1152x768 modeline and/or
monitor configuration, in particular the frequency ranges.