Re: Testing boot-floppies on iMac

On Sat, 2002-02-16 at 15:27, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> Yesterday, I got an iMac (NewWorld) to play with at work, and decided to
> install woody on it.  It has no floppy drive, so the only bootable woody
> installation media that I could find were ISO images at:
>
> http://people.debian.org/~ieure/netinst/
>
> which I burned onto CD-R.

If you have another machine on the local network, netbooting is the best
option, in my opinion.

http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/woody/main/disks-powerpc/current/doc/ch-install-methods.en.html#s-install-tftp

> I couldn't figure out how to tag a partition as swap, this being my first
> PowerPC installation.  the mac-fdisk help was not helpful).  I continued
> without one, and have since learned (from
> http://penguinppc.org/projects/yaboot/doc/mac-fdisk-basics.shtml linked from
> the release notes) that it should be named 'swap'.  I assume this would have
> worked; if so, it should be mentioned directly in the release notes.

The entire mac-fdisk-basics document is really required reading for
installing on PowerPC.

> Also, how can I help to test future PowerPC boot-floppies?  Is there some
> way to network-boot this beast, or do I have to continue to use CD-Rs?

We definitely need more testers for the PowerPC boot-floppies!  If you
have trouble netbooting, someone is almost always on openprojects.net
#debianppc (I'm "walters" on IRC).