Re: Kernel 2.4.17

> debianized != hot

Indeed....
# apt-cache search kernel-image | grep powerpc
kernel-image-2.4.12-powerpc - Linux kernel binary
image.
kernel-image-2.4.12-powerpc-smp - Linux kernel
binary image.
kernel-image-2.4.14-powerpc-xfs - Linux kernel
binary image for version 2.4.14-powerpc-xfs
kernel-image-2.4.16-powerpc - Linux kernel binary
image.
kernel-image-2.4.16-powerpc-smp - Linux kernel
binary image.

I am going to try to make packages of recent
kernels.... I´m looking into Debian´s build system
(actually chose something awful to start with,
php4, which is apparently orphaned an incredibly
difficult to build) and the kernel system seems
much simpler... but again...

# apt-cache search kernel-source-2.4.17
kernel-source-2.4.17 - Linux kernel source for
version 2.4.17
kernel-source-2.4.17-hppa - Linux kernel source
for version 2.4.17 on HPPA
kernel-source-2.4.17-ia64 - Linux kernel source
for version 2.4.17 on IA-64

Can I use the kernel-source-2.4.17 source package
to begin with? Or do I need a BenH kernel?

> But for the debian kernels, just browse
kernel-image packages, and use
> apt-get to install. The only thing you need to
do after that, AFAIK,
> is re-point quik/yaboot/BootX to the new kernel
in /boot.

I use BootX. Is there some way smarter than this
to install new kernel?

1) Compile and get new vmlinuz and upload
somewhere
2) Shutdown and go into MacOS; download previusly
uploaded, setup BootX
3) Boot from BootX, repeat

Can I somehow mount the MacOS partition and write
vmlinuz there?
Also, on i386 (sorry guys I come from there)
there´s all those initrd and cramfs stuff... how
does this fit in?

Thanks again!

Ricardo